Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Be Thankful

by George McQuain

When our children were growing up I often helped coach their sports teams. At one Little League game I was coaching third base and I was thirsty. In between batters, I called to my wife, Joanne, and asked her if she could get me a drink from the snack bar. Being the kind woman that she is, Joanne graciously brought me a drink.

What makes this story memorable, is that when Joanne returned to the stands, the other team mothers were amazed (and told her so) that I had said “please” and “thank you” during this interaction. Apparently, the other women in the stands were not used to people saying “please” and “thank you” to them.

I have found that saying “please” and “thank you” is a very important thing to do as a person and as a leader. Saying “please” and “thank you” are obviously critical features of etiquette and proper manners, but there is more to it.

From a very young age, most of us are “trained” to look for problems, to focus on what needs to be fixed and to fix those problems. Unfortunately, always focusing on what is “wrong” will eliminate problems, but it won’t necessarily lead to people doing the “right” things. Focusing 100% on “problems” also makes it extremely difficult to positively motivate your team.

As a leader, we must eliminate the “wrong” things, but we must also make sure the “right” things get done. Teacher and writer Ben-Shahar suggests reframing problems into an opportunity to ask the right questions. Instead of analyzing the wrongs, understand successes and work to replicate those successes.

That is why I often ask these two questions:

1.     What should we stop doing or do less of?
2.     What should we start doing or do more of?

That is also why I say “Thank You” as often as I can.  As Ben-Shahar also says, "Appreciate the good, and the good appreciates." I have found that to be true to the max.

Say thank you to the people in your life. You didn’t get to where you are on your own. Your daily successes are built upon the efforts of others. Why not pick 25 people you know and tell them “Thank You.” Be specific:

1.     Tell them specifically what they did
2.     Tell them specifically what their action meant to you or your team
3.     Thank them for doing what they did

I encourage you to repeat this process as often as possible. You’ll be amazed at how your team will react.




No comments:

Post a Comment